Sunday, April 23, 2006

What Do I Really Need in that Diaper Bag?

You know - I have been looking at several places trying to figure out just what I need to pack in the diaper bags (yes, one for each of us, we just picked up one for daddy on Friday, it's actually just like mine but the color is slightly different and it doesn't have that diaper bag look to it - we like them.) Here is one site that is excessive, and another that is very simple.

Anyways - maybe some moms out there want to comment on what they found helpful.

So, diapers & wipes are a given. Do I really need a whole days supply of diapers in there? I think that may be overboard, unless we are going to be gone for a whole day. Most of our excursions are only a few hours. But I will bring along a plastic bag for the diapers - a given.

The plan is to breastfeed, so hopefully "I" don't have to worry about the bottles during the next year, but daddy may have to bring along some bottles if he is going out with the baby.

What about change of clothes? Do I really need more than one? Some websites said to have 2-3 changes of clothes and others say just one (& make it a simple one piece outfit).

You know - I like our new diaper bags, but they really aren't equipped to be carrying EVERYTHING that some of these websites recommend. Some sites recommend bringing my entire medicine cabinet practically. Like a baby hairbrush - do I really need to bring that? I mean Come On! They are a baby with soft fine hair, you just pat it down with your hand (unless you are going out to get pictrues taken) You can wait to comb it again until you get home. I don't even carry a brush along for me, why would I weigh myself down with that for the baby?

I understand once the baby gets older I'll need snacks & sippy cups along - I mean, Come On! I do that for myself even. Bring on the snacks & beverages.

I was thinking carrying along some of those travel Shout wipes would be a good idea (to prevent stains on the baby & me!)

Some things should be brought along only if you are going to be gone for a while and it is appropriate for the day. Like sunscreen, in most cases we won't be gone long enough that I can't just put it on at home. Or diaper rash ointment - do I really need to bring this along unless she has diaper rash? Teething gel - again, do I need to bring this unless she is teething? Acetaminophen - I suppose I could just out some in there just in case, that won't take up too much space. Antihistamine for babies - should I or shouldn't I? Should I go out & purchase this before the baby is born, as we don't know if she'll be allergic to bee stings (Are people who are allergic to bee stings also alelrgic to wasp stings?)

Recieving blanket - well, I think we'll just have one in each vehicle anyways and we generally aren't going places unless we are in our cars anyways. There isn't a whole lot of places to walk to in our little town, and if we do, I can just grab one if we need one.

Toys & books, I think we'll grab what we need when we think we'll need it. I am sure there will be random toys littering our backseat (I'd get one of those backseat organizers, but I don't know if we would use it - just bring realistic - neither of us keeps our cars super organized and I don't think that will change just because we have a baby, actually, I anticipate out backseat looking even more dishelved.)

And when we take her to day care, we'll already have a supply of diapers, wipes, & ointment there. We only need to have the change of clothes available in the diaper bag - well, and my day's supply of breatmilk (which I was thinking of going out & getting a small lunch bag - because mine is big & already carries my lunch - to put the milk I pump at work in & transport.)

Well, so far, we both have our diaper bags with a change of clothes in, half day supply of diapers, wipes, a plastic bag for diapers, the changing mat that came in it (so you ever use those?), and a bunch of little sample products I've received, & mine has a receiving blanket in it in case we need it for taking her home on the first day.

I also made up a checklist (from going to a bunch of different websites) and started packing my labor bag and hospital stay bag. I packed what I already can (& don't need now or have extras of it), and then we'll pack the rest when it comes time. But for now the bags can sit in the closet and have the checklist that makes it so we don't have to worry what we are forgetting. And if we do forget something - oh well - we don't live that far away that Andy or someone can't run & get it for us, or we probably didn't need it anyways. The important thing the hospital wants is our insurance stuff, which I have already pre-registered (filled out forms & the made a copy of the insurance card) and they have a copy of the birth plan. Anything else we bring is just for convenience or comfort (other than my change of clothes for when I go home), everything else you can get at the hospital if you don't have it yourself (like toiletries, pads, snacks, etc.)

Ok - long enough post here.

3 comments:

S said...

Here's what we keep in our diaper bag (AND REALLY, WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE ROOM).

1. Several diapers.
2. Wipes.
3. Change of clothes for the baby.
4. Pacifier/breast pads

with my older daughter, we have the same for the top, but with snacks and a bib.

Regarding pads at the hospital: You're going to want theirs. Trust me. Also, besides the camera/phone, the most important things to me were my pajamas and a pillow. Also a pillow/blanket for your husband.

Mom of Two said...

Thanks SJ for your comments.

Here are comments from MIL:
As for what to put in a diaper bag, basically what you would normally use in the time allotment you are going to be out. A short trip may just require a few diapers and a travel size wipes pkg in a tote bag but longer trips will require lots of other stuff. I have found that most people rarely actually use the diaper bag because they can make do with a small bag for the few things they need. The exception would be daycare. My only suggestion is bring twice as many diapers as you think you will need. I took care of Ryan for Karen one night while they were having a dinner party at their house and he got the runs. Ususal for an evening was 2 diapers which I quickly ran out of and had to call them to bring more. Mostly expect the unexpected. They also have a spoon in a case for once he started solid foods and a bib.

Mom of Two said...

Comments emailed to me from my friend AK:

I was reading your blog and I will just let you know what I think about the diaper bag! If I recall ( it’s been a long time ). Blankies use to be the most important part for me to remember, and you may want to have more than one along in case of throw up or in case you have a diaper leak. As far as the diapers go, I don’t recall ever needing a whole day supply. The acetametaphine is a must, you never know when they will spike a fever and it generally comes on fast and goes up quickly. I never needed a change of clothes either, so I don’t know what you want to do about that one. Maybe just a top. Also take a pair of roomy shoes to the hospital as your feet may be swollen. I couldn’t even get mine on my feet much less tie them! Just a couple of things I can remember, have a nice day!