Friday, November 02, 2007

Out of Focus


Sorry for the extremely out of focus picture. I was trying to take a couple pictures too quick and this was the better of the two. She has taken to going into the cupboards and playing with pots & pans. Apparently the other cupboards she would dig in got boring and she needed to mix things up.
Yesterday I took her to the doctor to have this rash on her wrist checked out to make sure it was nothing contagious and they believe it is just eczema. Last winter she had a bought of it, but we used some Aveeno baby lotion and it all went away. So, now we have to lather her up again. At least her eczema is mild and is taken care of with just some lotion. Does anyone know if kids can outgrow this or not or will she have it for the rest of her life?
I did find this on Eczema.org: "There are no guarantees that a child will grow out of eczema. However, research has shown that 60-70% of children are virtually clear of the condition by the time they reach their mid-teens. "
The doctor says it is a hereditary thing. I know of one aunt that has it, but other than that I don't know if any other family members have it. And daddy certainly has no idea if anyone in his family has it. He doesn't even know what vegetables his parents like/don't like, so why should he know who has
WAIT! Apparently I have Eczema.....as I type this and am researching it, I have a form called Allergic contact dermatitis. I am allergic to nickel (which I suspect she is too because I have seen her tummy get red after wearing button pants.) My mom has this allergy as well.
She never did have thing kind: Infantile seborrhoeic eczema, which we know as cradle cap. She got dad's greasy head, so that was never an issue. She will probably never have dandruff (which is called Adult seborrhoeic eczema) either, which is a good thing.
What she has is Atopic eczema, which is related to asthma & hayfever allergies. Daddy has hayfever allergies.
Poor girl....she almost had no choice but to get some allergies.

2 comments:

CatWoman said...

Is she getting enough potassium? That is one way one would get eczema.
Aloe vera is probably the only thing that's best for eczema although the other things are gentle and wont hurt, Aloe vera has been used topically historically speaking.
If you do some Googling you'll find holistic remedies gentle and natural enough for baby. Good luck

Mom of Two said...

Her eczema is so mild that we just nee to put Aveeno Baby Lotion on her and it gets all cleared up.

But thanks for the tips. I will look them up.