Monday, April 27, 2009

Garage Creations

This afternoon we didn't make it back into the house too quickly after going to get the mail. Isabel wanted to play outside and was eyeing up the broken down cardboard boxes I had in there waiting to go to the recycling drop-off. Anyways, after watching her try to stack the boxes against things as she tried to make a "house" I offered up my assistance and got some cissors & duct tape and we created a very crude playhouse. I would have done more, but she told me it was finished and I had to stop. Ok then.

Then she found some hammers. Actually, the hammers came out when the playhouse was constructed and she decided it needed a window and she thought the best way to put a window in cardboard was to hammer a hole in it. When that didn't work out the way she intended I offered to help cut one out, but the hammer still didn't go away and she was looking around for something to pound.
I found a piece of scrap lumber & grabbed some leftover roofing nails and started to nail nails in part way for her. She isn't really strong enough to do much nailing, so I had to do most of the work. After a couple nails I decided that we should make something rather than just hammering in random nails, and so came the birth of our homemade harp. She helped me put the rubber bands on.
When daddy came home she was VERY excited to show him. She keeps thinking it's a xylophone because of the shape.

4 comments:

Andy said...

How is that a harp? Looks like a xylophone to me.

Mom of Two said...

Since when does a xylophone hve strings? A harp has strings arranged in that same way.

Andy said...

I'll give you harpsichord.

Mom of Two said...

It could be a zither. A zither has appeared in 2 books we have read recently. I didn't know what a zither was until now.