Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Where has Dad been?

Hey, all -- I'm still here. I haven't made an update in what, 5 months? Ack. Too long, too long.

Mostly, I don't know what to say. It was pretty much my idea to start this blog, because I thought that I'd have all of these great thoughts to put down and needed a venue to do so. But in reality... I'm at a loss for words.

It's not that I'm not excited. I am! Really! How can I explain this? Let's try this:

Remember when you were in high school/college, and you were taking some really difficult class? Let's say Advanced Calculus. The teacher is on the board working through some very complicated problem. You've skipped class the last 3 days, and have no idea what he's doing. You're seeing symbols that you don't understand, and formulas that appeared to be made up. He works through the problem for 30 minutes, and everyone is writing down notes and nodding their heads. They all get it, but you don't.

Afterwards, the teacher stops you on your way out and asks if you have any questions. You don't, of course. Well you really DO, but you can't ask, "Uh, WHAT?"

That's my problem right now... I don't know enough to be scared. I don't know what questions to ask. I don't know how it's going to impact me as a person, nor do I understand the impact on my life. How will I change? How will my relationship with my wife change?

Here's what I do know:

- I can't wait to meet this girl! I feel like I already know her.
- Everyone tells me that having children is the most rewarding thing in the world. I already think they're right.
- I don't really care what happens to my existing lifestyle.


The rest doesn't really matter. I'll figure everything out. There's an awful lot of stupid people out there with babies, so I should be ok. Right?

Right.

No comments: