Saturday, April 22, 2006

I signed up a couple weeks ago for a free magazine called Baby Center. I wish I had know about it before now, but oh well. I just got my 3rd trimester issue. Here's what I found interesing in there:

* Expectnet.com is a place where you can register a game for participants to take guesses as to the sex, birth weight, birth length, birth date, and birth time. You get points for everything. I put in my guesses. I went early, I am thinking I may go into labor on the full moon (May 13th) and end up having the baby the next morning (which happens to be Mother's Day). People at work have started a guessing thing on the white board in the classroom, most everyone thinks I will go late. I sent out an email to friends & family to allow them to guess (you need our game name to access it). If I missed you or you are one of my frequent blog readers, let me know and I will get you the game name.

* Some cute ideas for handpainted onesies to give as gifts.

* Lots of interesting statistics

* An article on 10 Childbirth Surprises - very interesting. (6 different moms tell their stories of each of the 10 areas.) And then it goes on to provide short comments on 10 postapartum surprises.
- You may not realize labor has started
- Half your laboring "tools" may go unused
- The pain is manageable - really
- Great dads don't always make great doulas
- Nothing prepares you for the final phase of labor
- Pushing isn't instrictive (except when it is)
- You may have no clue what your body's up to
- An emergency C-section isn't as scary as you think
- Tearing isn't a given - and it sounds worse than it feels
- Bonding isn't always instantaneous

3 comments:

Lame Shrill Owl said...

I gotta comment on the full moon thing -- in my field of work, things get a little crazy with the full moon. It is supposed to be caused by the pull of the moon on the tides (or water) and considering our bodies are mainly water we may feel it. Some people are more sensitive and react to the pull and feel unfortable. There is a theory out there that says preganant women will either experience more contractions during this time or their water will break and will go into labor. So, that's where I am coming from.

I do see that something does happen to some people during a full moon. So that is the best way I can make an educated guess.

Mom of Two said...

I like the guessing game thing....I keep checking to see who is guessing & what they are guessing.....it will be interesting to see how the points add up and who gets the bragging rights.....

Mom of Two said...

I was looking at the dates people are guessing - maybe I should let everyone know that the Dr. said we could induce on May 25, 26 or 30 (big space for memorial weekend) if she doesn't come on her own......

we would decide that at our appt on eitehr may 15 or 22 if she didn't come by the 21st......I'm thinking earlier rather than later ....so those dates of the 29th might not even have a chance.....