Monday, April 03, 2006

Questions Answered

I just had a Dr. appt. and I went in there with a list of questions. Now, I have to say that in the last few months I try not to watch any of those baby shows where things go wrong, because that just worries me. But this one show sounded good when you hit info, but after I Tivo'ed it, it just caused me worry. It was about 1st time moms who had low amniotic fluid. Now, the info just said 2 first-time moms deliver their babies. It didn't say anything about low-amniotic fluid or that one was being induced at 33 weeks and the other @ 41 weeks.

So, I had to ask the doctor how he checks for that. He told me he first checks by measuring the uterus. I should be measuring the same cm as I am weeks (give or take 1-2cm)......I just finished 33 weeks and am measuring 32cm. So, I am right on track. Plus he feels by pushing on my stomach to see what kind of movement there is (or not) to tell if there is too much or too little amniotic fluid. If those things didn't check out good, then we would do an ultrasound to look to see what's going on and if the baby is small or what. But, I am happy to say that both those things check out just fine.

Next question.....when do you check for Group B strep? He will check for that at either my next appt. in 2 weeks or the one after that. It's a swab test that they do in the office.

Another question.....should I be couting fetal kicks? Answer: Yes, after 32 weeks you should count fetal kicks at least once a day. You should get at least 10 movements in an hour when she is awake. Babies do sleep in the womb, so there will be quiet times and you make have to check at a different time, but try to do it around the same time every day.

I asked about fetal hiccups and he said some women notice them more than most and there has been no known cause found, it's just some type of disturbance to the fetus' diaphram and hiccups are ok.

And then I asked what the fetal presentation of my little girl is and he said she's presenting head down (good) and then showed me where her head was, her shoulders, butt, and where her legs and arms are. Most of the movements I feel are her hands and feet, and the big ones are her shoulders. So, I gotta wonder, if she is always head down does she get a head rush? It's good that she is head-down and pretty much always has been because we don't want a breech baby. But whether or not she faces my back or my stomach seems to change. But from the things I have read or watched, it's much easier to help change the direction (stomach or back) the baby is facing than it is to change them from breech to head-down.

But things are still looking good....still on track for a May 21st due date....next appt. in 2 weeks.

3 comments:

Mom of Two said...

This was the 100th post on this blog. Mom has done most of them....dad better get crackin'.

Emmakirst said...

Just found your blog, wanted to tell you congratulations and I enjoy reading it.

I think your baby is laying the same way as mine! Feet booting me in the ribs on my right side alllll the time :)

Lame Shrill Owl said...

Well, we'll just see what she does. Maybe she'll be a Mother's Day present to me and be born a week early.