Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What a Difference 7 miles makes.....

We live in a pretty small rural town (1200 people) that is sandwiched between 2 larger towns (approx. 25,000 people in each). Both places are roughly 7 miles away from us, one to the north and one to the south.

Well, I had signed us up for ECFE classes in the one to the south because I had met some people from it through the Newborn Clinic. I was told that evening classes fill up immediately, as in the same day that registration opens. They offer infant classes here, but I just didn't know anyone from it yet and wanted to go to the other town for now. But I just emailed the teacher of the ECFE classes in our town about letting us know about the next session of infant classes and she emailed back to tell me that they had to cancel them because of low enrollment. Now, I feel stuck. I want to do the class thing again, but who knows if the one in our town will be held. I wanted to stick with our town, as all the ECFE classes here are offered by the same teacher, who is also the pre-school teacher.

When it comes to swimmimng classes in our town, they are cheaper and easier to get into than in neighboring towns. I know in the town to our South that kids get put on waiting lists to be in a swim classes and there are a couple different places they do swim classes at. So, we shouldn't have to worry about getting her signed up for that.

I just lined up our first babysitter that is not family or friends of ours. She is our neighbor's teenage niece. She is a Senior in high school. Well, I asked her about pay and she told me a pretty low amount. I know what some of my friends pay in Owatonna for a teenage babysitter and this amount was low. Actually, it seemed to be what I got paid when I babysat as a teenager, which is quite a while ago. I told her we would be giving her more than what she was asking. It's important to pay your babysitters decent so that they want to say yes to you. She'll be basically coming here while Isabel is sleeping, but she does to bed now @ 7pm, and watching the video monitor of our sleeping one so that we can go out and eat dinner or see a movie or whatever else we want for a couple hours. I set up a date in November and in December. I feel good about finally getting some date nights set up.

In some respects I am glad we live in a very small town, but in other respects it definitly has its limitations. But we live close enough to larger towns that we can access other things we can't in our town. Plus we are only an hour away from the Twin Cities, which is close enough to take a day trip on a weekend to the zoo or a museum or whatever else.

No comments: