Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crying in the Womb

The other day daddy said,"Wouldn't it be weird if the baby cried in the womb?" I remembered reading somewhere that they do and told him that. Then he said, "Wouldn't it be weird if you cuold hear them crying in thewomb?" Yes, I think that would be kinda freaky.

I don't remember where I read it, so I had to do an internet search on it. Here's a study on Discovery. Here's a video of a baby crying in the womb. There is a commercial that plays first. The video describes the chin quivering; I wonder if that is this one movement I feel that I couldn't quite place. It feels just like that - a quiver. Actually, quite often I feel this quiver before she gets hiccups most often. I wonder if this has anything to do with one another. Maybe when she cries she takes in amniotic fluid (which is normal), but in a way that irritate the diaphram. Irritation to the diaphram is what causes hiccups in people. So, maybe the amniotic fluid taken in when she cries then causes her to hiccup. Here's a study on fetal hiccups in baboons that kind of addresses that topic.

Or the quiver could be a sneeze, I guess babies do that in the womb too. Here's a video of a baby sneezing in the womb. Or maybe she takes in too much fluid when she yawns (they do that too). Here's a little video of a baby yawn.

Here's a funny little *fake, I presume* video (with fake sound, of course) that illustrates sometimes what she feels like she is doing. Ok - I am way off topic now.

No comments: