Sunday, July 02, 2006

Play Time

I Can Hold a Rattle!
In that book (by the Sears Clan) there is a nice spreadsheet of infant development. I like spreadsheets, so this format works well for me. It's easier for me to see what skills (gross motor skills, hand skills & self-help, language & social skills, and cognitive skills) the baby should be mastering by what time. She was holding a rattle briefly about a month ago, at about 2 weeks. Briefly holdnig a rattle is a skill they master by 2 months. By 3 months they can hold it and shake it (which is what you see here - she's been doing that since last week). She is actually doing really well on her hand skills and has mastered prtty much all the hand skills through month 3 and is starting some in month 4. She actually mastered all the skills for month 1 and 2 (& some of 3) by the end of month 1, so now she's working on the skills for month 3 & 4.

I Spy Larry.

Here she is enjoying some tummy time. She's getting better at it. She used to tolerate it for about 2 minutes before she started crying. Now she can do it for 5-10 minutes (depending upon her mood that day.) You see her looking up at Larry (he's about 2 feet away.) More & more lately things are cathing her attention and she is turning her head to look at what it was. Like, the other day on our walk, this guy was driving an obnoxiously loud car and right after he passed up he reved his engine and she turned her head from center all the way to right towards the noise.

Babies Naturally Look to the Right.

Again, looknig in the mirror. Even though she likes the mirror she has to turn her head left to see, so she doesn't gaze at herself too long here and turns her head to the right and looks at other things. Last night I was reading in What to Expect The First Year and it says that all babies have a natural tendency to look to the right. It didn't say why, it just said. I decided to move her favorite crib mirror toy to the opposite side of the crib, but in the middle this time. So, we can choose which way we want her to face (L or R) when she plays with it. Plus it kinda got in the way when I would lower the crib gate when it was on that side.

It also said that babies dont like to look at things straight on, that they like to look at things fom an angle. So, if you play with them, put the toy at an angle. Or hang the mobile from the side of the crib and not directly over them.

I am getting at least one more wear out of this outfit. She was wearnig something else earlier, but needed to be changed. So, this was her 1 month outfit that I bought @ Carter's. It is so cute and I am glad I can get a couple wears out of it before it's too small. I hope I can get another wear out of her picture dress as well. Although she won't be weighed this Tuesday I will still measure her head & length. She seems even bigger that just a few days ago - well, I suppose she is going through her growth spurt. I wonder if she is going to get her daddy's height?

You know - it doesn't matter what order you click on the photos to upload, blogger inserts them in whatever order it wants. I had selected them in the order of 2, 3, 1 - but you see the order blogger chose.

1 comment:

Drea said...

We have the same baby einstine play pin gym. Of course we havent used it in a long time.. but we loved it when we did use it.