Monday, October 06, 2008

October Theme: Music

So, I decided to go along with this blog, Laugh, Learn, Love, and do the themes of the month. For October it is Music. What a fun theme. Isabel has really been getting into playing musical instruments or tapping along while I sing. She has been singing some songs with me as well, which has been fun. And she loves to dance. Last night we were marching to a song and she thought marching was kinda fun. But what I am looking forward to is I am going to get out my Karaoke Revolution game and play that with her. She won't know the songs and can't read the words, but she will loves dancing around and pretending to sing in the extra microphone. And maybe she can play some Guitar Hero with daddy and I could even get out the DDR if I feel up to it.

I think it will be fun to make some of our own instruments. Isabel loves to do projects & crafts, s combining the two will work out nicely. I was thinking that the three of us could play some musical chairs too. I am also going to call Javalive(a nearby coffee shop that sometimes has live music) and see if they have anything coming up. I had been wanting to take her there to listen/see a performance.

**ADDED TO POST**

Well, I have made some requests from the library to aide in our musical theme:
- Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (toy)
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violine (book)
- Musical Instruments from A to Z (book)
- Mozart Find a Melody (book)
- Sergei Prokofiev's Peter & the wolf (book & cd)
- Mole Music (book & cd)
- Baby Einstein: Meet the Orchestra & First Instruments (DVD)
- 101 More Music Games for Children

Here is a fun website (SillyBooks.net) I found that has animated sing-a-long songs. That will be fun to use.

And here are some coloring sheets I will print off to use (not sure which ones, so I will just post the links and decide a the mnth goes on):
http://members.coloringplanet.com/gallery/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Music
http://www.coloring.ws/music1.htm
http://www.freekidscoloring.com/music/

3 comments:

Erin said...

What fun links! And thanks for the book ideas too. I'm excited about this month too!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is cool that you can request toys from your library!!!

Mom of Two said...

It is nice that they have toys. They are primarily Melissa & Doug toys or Montessori toys. But they also have a bunch of toys that stay there that kids can play with, so it's a nice change of scenery if we need a different place to play.