Monday, June 12, 2006

She's Learning...

We might get to have a night out yet......all last week daddy was trying everyday to give her a bottle with breastmilk and she kept refusing to suck or drink. She would hold the nipple in her mouth to humor him we think, but no sucking or drinking until last night. We didn't put much inthe bottle since it may just be a wste anyways, but last night she drank the 3/4oz. I put in there and he fed to her. When we refilled and heated up some more, she was back to refusing & humoring. So, maybe by Sunday she'll be better at it and more willing and we can go to the play Sunday afternoon.

Isabel is not very fond of tummy time on the activity mat....She likes being on her back and looking at stuff, but not her tummy.But I do find that she will work those neck muscles if I put her over my shoulder. She likes to pick her head up and look at me or all the way up and look at the ceiling fixture; she really likes ceiling fans. She works her leg muscles too at this time. If I put one hand under her feet & the other on her back, she will push off my hands with her feet. I guess mom is her best activity mat.

UPDATED - 2pm

Her head is bigger. She no longer fits in her newborn size hats.....but the ones that are size 0-6 months are still a little big. I do have a couple that she can wear right now. I needed a hat for her today as I took her for a walk in her Snugli. I tried it last week and she didn't quite fit into it, she seemed a little small for it yet. But now she fits just fine and zonked out right away when I got her in and started walking. Still haven't had luck with the sling or pouch, but now that she will at least work with one thing that I can carry her around in I am happy. Carrying a 9-lb. weight on my chest as I walk does increase my workout.

I think her nights & days are starting to swtich, but now she wants to cluster feed in the day rather than night (which is good), but my milk production hasn't switched, but it will soon.

2 comments:

Lame Shrill Owl said...

It said to wait at least 2 weeks so that the baby fully takes to breastfeeding, otherwise there could be nipple confusion.

I guess that a baby has to suck differently to get milk from a bottle than from a breast. And they have to suck harder to get milk from a breast, so a bottle is easier and quicker and they could prefer to access the bottle instead.

Some books recommend waiting 4 weeks before trying to make sure the baby really has the hang of feeding from the breast.

Obviouslym, by Isabel's weight gain, she is doing just fine at breastfeeding.

Lame Shrill Owl said...

I will be pumping when I am back at work, but will feed from the breast on weekends and before & after work. I have a very nice double breast pump.