Sunday, May 14, 2006

Glad I'm Not a Single Mom

Daddy & I were talking about this last night. I am so glad I am not a single mom, because when I went to the hospital I would have probably felt really bad by how they phrased some things if I were.

Daddy dropped me off at the door and then parked the car, and I walked in by myself. They asked what they could help me with and I told them I think I may be there to have a baby. Their response was, "You're not here alone, are you?" Now be saying that in a kind of condesending voice and you got the picture. They should have structured the question differently by saying Are you here alone? That way it doesn't sound so accusing and negative.

The next thing was when the OB nurse was doing this questionnaire thing and she asked me, "You're not on WIC, are you?" What the hell is with the accusing sentence structure. Dad was there for that one and thought it didn't sound right. Maybe we didn't look like we would qualify for WIC, I don't know. Not that every single mother is on WIC. There are couples on WIC and plenty of single mothers who would not qualify. But still, the way she said it could have made me feel like it was a bad thing.

And finally - this one isn't about stupid sentence structures - but when daddy left the room to go to the bathroom (he could have used the bathroom in the room, but he loves me enough to go #2 in the public bathroom rather than make me suffer)....but it was very lonely sitting in that room contracting with no one there.

Those experiences made me very happy to have a husband there with me and how some people can make you feel really bad if you are alone. Even daddy realized how lonely the whole experience could be if you don't have anyone going with you.

1 comment:

Mom of Two said...

Most of my doctor visits to the clinic have been by myself and I haven't felt bad then, although it seemed that most people there were by themselves, unless they were in the very early stages of their pregnancy and it was the first visit or maybe an ultrasound visit.

Daddy has only been on 3 visits with me. The very first visit with the doctor, the ultrasound visit, and the visit last week (which was nothing special, but it fit into his schedule and it was nice to be able for both of us to ask a lot of questions as "the day" approaches.

But the hospital visit, I certainly did feel it.