Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Such a Good Eater

We took Isabel to the "Amazing Newborn Clinic" today. It's a free clinic on Tuesdays from 12:30-2pm where you can bring your baby in and have them weighed and ask the nurses any questions you have about the baby or feeding or whatever.

So, she's 10 days old and we were excited to see how much weight she put on. She's a pretty good eater; I should know. Sometimes I feel like I am just one big boob. Anyways, at birth she weighed 7 lb. 2 oz. and it's normal for babies to lose about 10% of their weight in the first couple days. So, when we left the hospital her discharge weight was 6 lb. 9 oz. They like to see a baby be back to their birth weight by 2 weeks of age.

So, today at 10 days old she weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. I knew she was filling out nicely. I didn't have any worries about her not getting enough food. I knew I was producing it and they are leaking all the time. I could have had a couple of kids, maybe get a couple from a third world country and fatten them up too, I certainly have plenty here.

Actually, my milk supply is so plentiful and my let-down reflex is so quick that sometimes Isabel is lazy about latching on because she doesn't have to. The milk just squirts out when she touches the nipple with her lips. So, sometimes she just licks and smacks at my nipple. The nurses at the clinic laughed at that and said she was smart and resourceful.

Well, gotta run. Feeding Time. Again.

No comments: