Friday, May 12, 2006

We Need Them Stronger....

After spending a better part of last night and this morning at the hospital , I got the option to go home. My contractions were regular and increasing in frequency (got to 3 minutes apart) but were not increasing in intensity and I was not dilating further.

The doc gave me 3 options, 2 which involved staying at the hospital and 1 which let me come home. We came home.

Those beds are Soooooo not comfortable and you can't get any sleep with that band thing & monitors hooked up to you. Who are they kidding trying to tell you to try & rest?

We did what we were supposed to do - come in when they were consistently 5 minutes apart, but they just didn't get stronger. And I figured we would be more comfortable at home rather than sitting there with machines on and having someone check on us every 30-45 minutes.

Now I can take a bath or shower when I want (they have a bath & shower room, but it's not in the birthing room - doesn't exactly appeal to me), I can make my tea, watch my soaps, eat some breakfast (I can eat until they get to be strong enough where it's difficult to talk & that is when I need to go in next time.) You know, I wish they would have said that the first time and we would have just not gone in. But I suppose many woman start out like I did and the frequency & intensity BOTH increase.

The baby is lying in a position that causes my back immense pain....the contractions were a piece of cake to handle, that back pain is not fun. The doc offered to give me drugs (which meant I would have to stay there), but I decided to come home and trying different positions in hopes that she moves a little. She did. There is still some back pain, but it's not as bad.

My waters are still in place....so there is no reason I had to stay there and have a baby at that moment and the doc said it was too early to go the route of inducing by breaking the waters. Hmmm.....guess he doesn't realize that I want to avoid rupturing the water bag or taking pitocin at all costs. I don't want to take any drugs unnecessarily or do anything artificial unless we have to for health reasons for me or the baby.

He said I could have these same constant contractions for hours yet -- or even days! Wh-wh-What? Days? I may be able to hold on a conversation yet, but I certainly am not going to be able to go buy groceries or drive anywhere by myself. They are too distractingto really be anywhere other than home. This "days" of 3-minutes apart contractions is for the birds.

Time to try to find a comfortable position and get some rest. Still have plenty of time for her to be a full moon baby - full moon is tomorrow. I was betting on going in Saturday and actually delivering on Sunday. So, we'll see.

No comments: