Monday, May 15, 2006

Week 40 Doctor Appointment

Will it ever come to fruition?

Anyways - not a lot new from this doctor appointment. We talked about still having lots of contractions, but that I am basically ignoring them until they make me pay attention. He says he's a little worried that because I have a high pain tolerance (his perception, not mine) that I will end up coming in when I am 9cm dilated. Hmmmm....is that really so bad? I mean, I can't start pushing until 10cm. (Although, Daddy worries about the same thing and says that if I have a baby in his car we are selling it immediately - no questions asked.) I honestly don't think my pain tolerance is all that high, but I guess we'll find out.

The doctor did sign a note having me start family medical leave starting tomorrow. So, I guess I am out until summer school starts. Now I just need to get my short-term diability paperwork in order. I didn't have it with me (it's packed in the hospital bag) and wasn't exactly expecting it, so now I have to get it to the doctor. But I suppose I can still wait to have him fill it out either at my next appointment or at the hospital.

I did tell the doctor I was upset that he was giving me false hopes the last 2 weeks and I didn't want to hear it. But he still insisted on saying several times that before the week is up I should have a baby. I told him I still don't believe him and that I don't believe that we are having a girl anymore. He said he was really surprised that I didn't end up delivering on Friday afterall.

We also talked about an induction for the week after. We had a couple days to choose from (well, we could have chose others, but he wanted it to be on a day that he is the one on call that night so he can do the delivery.) So, if needed, we are planning for an induction on May 23rd. But I really don't want to be induced....so I hope this baby comes all on her own before that.

Guess that's it.

2 comments:

Mom of Two said...

Oh - and I asked to meet the other ob doctors, since there is a decent chance of me having one of them deliver the baby rather than my own doc. One of them was there, the other one was off, and I guess there are ob doctors from Mayo Clinic that also share in the evening/weekend coverage.

So, the one I got to meet was the one whose picture creeps me out. He does not have long spindly fingers, so daddy can stop creeping me out about that. He had a very soothing voice, which was nice, and I talked briefly about my birth plan and how he interacts with patients and he said that he is pretty mellow and is open to doing whatever the parents want as long as the bay & mom aren't in danger and he would work with whatever I felt comfortable with.

So, now I feel better about that one. Not sure I'll get to meet the other one before someone delivers me. Who knows, it may be the other one or it could be someone from Mayo Clinic.

Mom of Two said...

One of my co-workers isn't due until June 2nd, but she has a scheduled induction on May 26th and she's already pretty anxious to have her baby and be done with being pregnant.