Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Body

Actually, I am pretty glad that I am home now before the birth. I just would not be comfortable sitting in those chairs at work or walking around as much as I sometimes do there.

Yesterday morning I was having these contractions, much like the ones I have had before, and I was doing my best to ignore them, because like I said - they were like the ones I had before (which resulted in nothing.) Anyways, all of a sudden I get this pain starting in my left backside and slowly, ever so slowly, it makes it way across my entire back. And all I can think is F*ck that hurts. I am breathing through it and thought I would get up to see if it went away - nope! So, this already feels like it is lasting 10 minutes and probably only 10 seconds has passed. The next thing I can think is that the baby is digging her heel into some nerve and I gotta get her to change her position. This can't really be a contraction, because if this is how it's going to be - we're going to the hospital NOW in my jammies and I'll have to yell to daddy upstairs (who was still sleeping) and scre the living daylights out of him as he comes downstairs all disoriented and confused. But I got on my exercise ball, kept my breathing, and started to break out in a sweat and kept thinking. Sh*t, this REALLY hurts, I am so getting meds! High pain tolerance my ass. Of course while I was laying there on the ball in pain, I had the laptop in front of me, trying to look up information.

Just think of how distracted I could be from the contractions if I could have my laptop there while I was delivering....but Nooooo!....the hospital doesn't have wireless internet. Come on people - get with technology!

Anyways - apparently the baby likes the position where she lays on my back. But I am glad I have my exercise ball. When the back pain starts, I just get on there for a while and then it goes away as she changes positions. So, it's a good thing I wasn't at work because I wouldn't have had my ball.....and I was on it quite a bit. But anytime I started to feel even the sligtest back pain I went on it. I did go see my chiropractor neighbor yesterday to get straightened out, so that was good.

A couple months ago I had blogged about different birthing positions and how I wasn't so hip on the idea of all fours.....I am very quickly changing my mind on that one.....I still don't like the idea of my butt in the air, but I know I won't give a rat's ass about it when I am in labor or having contractions. Because the baby keeps pushing on my back and causing pains there, I just don't see sitting or laying working out at all. And I am pretty sure I don't want to squat -- that would take a lot of energy. So, there is the side position or on all fours....and since they have the birthing ball there which can support the upper half of my body, it might be the most comfortable for me.

Daddy was laughing at me & Larry yesterday. It takes me so long to move from side to side when I am in bed or on the couch - hey! I got this baby with all sorts of fluid floating around inside of me, you try moving fast and see how that works out for you. But then he noticed that the fat cat moves just as slow when he is trying to change positions. I told daddy to leave us alone because it's not so easy carrying around extra weight.

My arms are starting to get a workout now. It's much easier to push myself up with my arms than to use any abdominal muscles, but it's a slower process and I feel like an old woman. Daddy just giggles at me because I am so slow -- he can finally keep up. Although the other day on our walk he asked if I had a sudden burst of energy as he was having trouble keeping up with me & the dog.

I had this dream about breastfeeding last night. I guess it's the one thing I am still unsure about. Not unsure whether or not I will do it - that's not the issue. But it's something I have never done before. And I can read all I want on how to do it and what to do, but it really doesn't mean much until I actually have the baby in my arms and can do it. I know if I have concerns there are plenty of people to ask. The hospital has a lacatation consultant there (actually, one of the ladies who taught a section of our baby classes) and there is also a weekly "Amazing Baby Clinic" - which the lactation consultant is at and I can ask questions (& you get the baby weighed and everything else and they ask you a bunch of questions to make sure the baby is growing fine.) Plus depending upon when she joins us, my mom will either be here around the time of the birth or shortly after and she nursed all four of us. Plus, I do have supportive friends that live nearby who have nursed their own children who woud not hesitate for a second to run over right away and give me whatever support I need. So, I am not really worried. I just had this dream - you know how that goes.

No comments: