Monday, August 21, 2006

Library Book Review

I picked these randomly. Actually, I looked at what books they had on display and looked inside to see if the story was long enough to last at least half way through a feeding. That was how I picked them out. I read them all to her today.

Do You Have a Hat? I really enjoyed this one. I loved the illustrations and the premisis for the story. I also liked the little bits of history lessons it offered. This one I will hang onto for a little bit and read a few more times to her.

The Black Geese: a Baba Yaga Story from Russia I wasn't sure if I would like this one. It's basically an old Russian folk tale. The drawings are very folkish as well. I actually found myself wanting to know what would happen in the end. So, two thumbs up for this book. This one I will hold onto as well and read a few more times.

My Mother's Apron The story made me think about my own great grandma S. but it was just telling you about her apron. Nothing happened. Reading it once was fine, but I am not sure an older child would like it. There is no "what is going to happen" or lesson to be learned. It's just about an apron. As it did bring back memories for me, my child will have no memories of someone always wearing an apron and the things they would do with it. I'm returning this one tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am hoping to take her to the library for storytime (in the morning). A Kindermusik educator is going to be leading, so I thought she might get a kick out of the musical instruments. So, I plan to pick up some more books to read over the next week. And also in the afternoon I plan to take her to the newborn clinic to get her 3 month measurements and see what percentile she falls into. I'm guessing the upper 90's for both weight and length. She is a very solid baby.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I heard you reading the Black Geese story yesterday. Only, I didn't know it was about Black Geese.

I thought that you were saying "The blackies said blah" and "The blackies went to the blah."

I wasn't sure exactly what kind of book you had there. I just figured that you read somewhere that babies who were read racist propoganda at an early age were smarter/better/happier and you were just going along with it.

Or, maybe you just hate black people.

*shrug*

Mom of Two said...

Open your ears!