Sunday, December 03, 2006

New Isabel Song

The song is actually Kookaburra, but I replaced Kookaburra with Isabel. I learned this song in grad school, although I only remember learning the first 2 verses.

I did change some of the words, so here it my Isabel version.

Isabel sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry queen of the bush is she
Laugh, Isabel! Laugh, Isabel!
Fun your life must be.

Isabel sits in the old gum tree
Eating all the gum drops she can see
Stop, Isabel! Stop, Isabel!
Leave some there for me!

I sing it to her while she eats. I sing a lot of songs to her while she eats. I also sing Mary Had a Little Lamb, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain, The Wheels on the Bus, Hickory Dockory Dock, Hey Diddle Diddle, On Top of Spaghetti, Jack & Jill, & Skip to my Lou. Those are the songs I sing on a daily basis, there are others that I occasionally throw in and I have been starting to add in Christmas songs.

Today we went out for Brunch with Isabel and she did a great job. We had some food along for her and she ate pureed apples&pears while we had our breakfasts foods. She did a really good job there. We first had gone to a pancake breakfast as someone gave us some free tickets they bought, but we stood in line for 15 minutes and we were only *maybe* a third the way through. She was getting overwhelmed by all the people and seemed a little scared, so we left and went to a restaurant instead and she was much more at ease.

Not too many plans this week. Friday after work, mommy's friend Carrie is going to come over to play. She hasn't seen Isabel in quite a while when she would babysit Isabel and try to get her to take a bottle. So, it should be fun to see Isabel with Carrie now because Isabel is so much more fun. And then on Saturday we have a sitter lined up, but no plans. We'll figure out something to go do. Last time we had sitters lined up Isabel got sick and we had to cancel them. So, I hope we have better luck this time.

In less than 2 weeks she will get to meet some other family that are coming to visit from Spain. Daddy's oldest brother & his wife & son (one of Isabel's 2 cousins) will be in Minnesota.

I gave her prunes today. She seemed to like them. There really hasn't been anything she hasn't liked, which I suppose it good. I always hoped I wasn't going to have a picky eater. I see the frustration some of my friends have with their picky eaters.

Isabel does like the Christmas tree. At first she was just really into grabbing the tree (it's artificial). She likes trees. She always liked when we took her outside and she could stare at the trees or look out the windows at the trees. And like most kids she like sparkly lights. She did grab at the white xmas balls; they are kind covered in silk strands and are kinda slippery to hold and she couldn't really grab them or hold them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a music teacher's dream- singing to your child and making music such an important part of the daily activities. I love it.

Mom of Two said...

Music has been a big part of daddy's life, although he gaveup majoring in it, but music is still HUGE for him.

I grew up playing instruments too, but it was more just for fun & socialiazing (pep band was my favorite!) and daddy was the serious one (he had fun too).

But I also like singing -- man, do i miss karaoke nights.....not that I am that great at it. I just think it's fun.

But we want her to grow up valuing music and liking it.

Anonymous said...

It's not just for the future-a child that joins the band or loves music...it's the research that support the important of music and listening to music (singing, anything really) in the development of the brain. Children have so many more opportunities when their parents sing to them, play music for them, and encourage them to experience the sounds around them. The brain developes better listening skills, and so many other things. My school has a pilot program for kindergartners to learn the violin and take extra music classes per week- in the 4 years we've done this the students already have much higher test scores in math and reading than their counterparts. It's actually a research project where we track their scores- the little ones with itty bitty violins are just the cutest.
It's just so awesome that you are aware of the importance of music! I wish more parents were like you-really!